Well, I did some real, in the round swatching and discovered that US 1 (2.25 mm) needles were the right size for my Sockapalooza Pal's socks. So far I have reknit the first sock and started on the second:
I like the Monkey pattern a lot. The yarn I'm using does obscure it a bit, but I think it kind of works (the yarn is "Phoenix" yarn, and the pattern sort of looks like flames or feathers). Here are some close-ups:
You may not be able to tell in the above pictures, but the sock really should be big enough for my larger footed pal. See, there is extra room in the toe area...
...and in the leg:
I made the instep gussets deeper, too. I'm crossing my fingers that these will fit my pal passably. Moana is crossing her whiskers:
I swatched today for a new project. I will be making Iris G's Pencil Sketch Camisole in this yarn:
It's Filatura Di Crosa Adhoc Pepe, a pretty viscose/linen blend I found on sale last year. The color is not the greatest in this photo, but it's a soft, almost licheny green (not the chartreuse kind, mind you). I can't seem to find mention of it online, so the yarn store I got it from may have been holding onto it for a while. I got gauge on US 4 needles (Iris G suggests US 6).
You will be happy to know that Bug and octopus are getting along better lately (although octopus still has a nasty habit of jumping on Bug's head without warning).