Monday, July 23, 2007
Nothing sketchy about it...
PENCIL SKETCH CAMISOLE (Iris G)
Filatura Di Crosa Adhoc Pepe (viscose/linen), #11 (110 yards per ball) 3.5 balls
Debbie Bliss Cathay (cotton/viscose/silk), #12006 (109 yards per ball) 2/3 ball
Rowan Handknit Cotton (cotton), #309 (93 yards per ball) 1/4 ball
US 4, 24" and 16" bamboo circular needles
I really enjoyed making the Pencil Sketch Camisole -- thanks Iris! Overall, the pattern was very easy to follow, and it produced a wonderful end product. The fabric is drapey and slightly shiny, thanks to the lovely Pepe and Cathay yarns. I think it came out great!
There were a few instructions I found ambiguous or slightly confusing, but I think I figured everything out (I'll be sure to tell Iris where I was confused, so she can address this if need be). In one place, I got myself into trouble because I had added stitch markers on either side of the lace panel stitches in addition to the 2 markers (at left and right sides) Iris suggested in the pattern. The instructions told me to "knit to marker" and I accidentally stopped at the first marker I came to (which was one of mine) -- oops! I figured it out, though.
Although I initially thought I was getting stitch gauge with my swatch, I realized before casting on that I really wasn't, so I decided to cast on 150 stitches (instead of the 162 in the pattern). I also had to adjust for my row gauge, which was too tight, by knitting extra rows.
My trim yarn (Rowan Handknit Cotton) was thicker and stiffer than might be desirable, but I had it in my stash, so I went ahead and used it. If you make this top, I would definitely suggest using something more delicate, like the silk tape Iris used to trim her original Pencil Sketch. I would have used the leftover Pepe or Cathay, except I really liked the idea of a paler trim.
I only used the trim color on the neck and sleeve openings (Iris also uses it along the bottom of the camisole). Because my trim yarn was a little more robust, after picking up stitches for the sleeve trim, I knit only 2 rounds in stockinette stitch, then did one round of k1p1 rib before binding off in k1p1 rib. Likewise, after picking up stitches for the neck trim, I worked only one round in stockinette stitch before binding off in picot trim. Iris used a random combination of 2, 3, or 4 stitches between picots, but I ended up using 3 stitches between each of my picots.
I did start working on Mystery Stole 3 last week. (Woo, hoo!) I'm actually farther along than the picture shows (I'm halfway through Clue 2 now), however, reading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" this weekend took a large chunk out of my knitting time (but I'm OK with that -- I really enjoyed the book!) : )
Amazon had given me a UPS tracking number (that appeared to work!), but my book ended up coming via the US Postal Service at my regular mail time (around 5 pm, grrrrrrr....) on Saturday, so I didn't get to start reading until late in the day. My husband and I switched off reading the book Saturday evening and Sunday morning, but I was a total hog on Sunday afternoon, so I had finished the book by dinner time.
Moana doesn't really get lace...
and she's totally not into wearing a babushka.