Monday, July 23, 2007

Nothing sketchy about it...

294-9487_IMG
PENCIL SKETCH CAMISOLE (Iris G)
Filatura Di Crosa Adhoc Pepe (viscose/linen), #11 (110 yards per ball) 3.5 balls
Debbie Bliss Cathay (cotton/viscose/silk), #12006 (109 yards per ball) 2/3 ball
Rowan Handknit Cotton (cotton), #309 (93 yards per ball) 1/4 ball
US 4, 24" and 16" bamboo circular needles

I really enjoyed making the Pencil Sketch Camisole -- thanks Iris! Overall, the pattern was very easy to follow, and it produced a wonderful end product. The fabric is drapey and slightly shiny, thanks to the lovely Pepe and Cathay yarns. I think it came out great!

294-9474_IMG 294-9479_IMG

There were a few instructions I found ambiguous or slightly confusing, but I think I figured everything out (I'll be sure to tell Iris where I was confused, so she can address this if need be). In one place, I got myself into trouble because I had added stitch markers on either side of the lace panel stitches in addition to the 2 markers (at left and right sides) Iris suggested in the pattern. The instructions told me to "knit to marker" and I accidentally stopped at the first marker I came to (which was one of mine) -- oops! I figured it out, though.

294-9447_IMG

Modifications:
Although I initially thought I was getting stitch gauge with my swatch, I realized before casting on that I really wasn't, so I decided to cast on 150 stitches (instead of the 162 in the pattern). I also had to adjust for my row gauge, which was too tight, by knitting extra rows.

295-9507_IMG

My trim yarn (Rowan Handknit Cotton) was thicker and stiffer than might be desirable, but I had it in my stash, so I went ahead and used it. If you make this top, I would definitely suggest using something more delicate, like the silk tape Iris used to trim her original Pencil Sketch. I would have used the leftover Pepe or Cathay, except I really liked the idea of a paler trim.

294-9468_IMG

I only used the trim color on the neck and sleeve openings (Iris also uses it along the bottom of the camisole). Because my trim yarn was a little more robust, after picking up stitches for the sleeve trim, I knit only 2 rounds in stockinette stitch, then did one round of k1p1 rib before binding off in k1p1 rib. Likewise, after picking up stitches for the neck trim, I worked only one round in stockinette stitch before binding off in picot trim. Iris used a random combination of 2, 3, or 4 stitches between picots, but I ended up using 3 stitches between each of my picots.

295-9523_IMG

I did start working on Mystery Stole 3 last week. (Woo, hoo!) I'm actually farther along than the picture shows (I'm halfway through Clue 2 now), however, reading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" this weekend took a large chunk out of my knitting time (but I'm OK with that -- I really enjoyed the book!) : )

Amazon had given me a UPS tracking number (that appeared to work!), but my book ended up coming via the US Postal Service at my regular mail time (around 5 pm, grrrrrrr....) on Saturday, so I didn't get to start reading until late in the day. My husband and I switched off reading the book Saturday evening and Sunday morning, but I was a total hog on Sunday afternoon, so I had finished the book by dinner time.

Moana doesn't really get lace...
295-9510_IMG

and she's totally not into wearing a babushka.
295-9521_IMG

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute top! You did a great job- congrats!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that top came out beautifully! It fits you SO WELL. Great job!

p.s. Glad you loved the book, too--I adored it.

Lara said...

The top looks great! I really want to knit one...just need to find the right yarn.

Your MS is looking great too. I am loving it.

soknitpicky said...

Beautiful work as always! And great fit to boot!

Sarah said...

The cami is adorable! I really like the picots around the neckline.

Tammy said...

Wow.. it looks great! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gawrsh that is beautiful! Why the heck can't some of the knit magazines use you for a model, huh? Heck, photographer too. You look fantastic in it, you show it off well, you let us see the entire garment... And knit beautifully. You need to get yourself hired.

Moana may not get lace, but she's looking very lovely, too!

YarnSnob said...

wow, that is such a cute top, shame i ain't got a fab figure like you, it looks stunning on you..."green with envy"..must start that diet tomorrow
xx

elizabeth marley said...

Well don't you look fabulous?! I love how it's a little vintage, and a little modern. Great job!

allie said...

What a cute top! You've done a great job!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful top! The drape looks so good and it fits you perfect.

Kasia said...

Your cami is super cute! I really love the colours and how it turned out!
MS is looking good! So does your kitty wearing it "babushka", but I guess she wasn't that pleased with it after all, was she?
Can't wait to see what will you knit next :D

Kirsten said...

Your Pencil Sketch Cami is beautiful and it looks great on you.

Anonymous said...

The cami is lovely. I like how the darker stripe really compliments your shape. Good job! I hope you get lots of wear out of it, because it's really cute.

Laiane said...

I second staci's comment about the colored stripe accentuating your figure. The cami turned out really well.

Poor Mona! Well, I say that half-heartedly because I love your cat pictures. I threaten my brood with them. "See. That kitty is wearing hand knits. What's wrong with you guys?!"

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

The Pencil Sketch looks great! I really like the strip you added around the middle.

Ewe-niss said...

Congratulations! You did a wonderful job on your cami. I would knit one for myself, but I know in my heart that it just would not look as perfect as it does on you. (I have floppy old lady arms :-)

Congratulations, again - it looks fabulous!

Kara said...

It is positively adorable on you. It looks like a perfect fit. And how much do I love that color combo?!

jillian said...

Your cami came out great! So flattering!

Iris G said...

You look super-fantastic in it! Great colors and the drape is so lovely! And I can't express my gratitude enough--thanks for all the suggestions;-). Wear it with pride!

Your lace is looking good, and I actually think Moana looks cute with it!

Jofrog said...

Need. To. Knit. It.

Thanks so much for turning me onto this pattern. I've been watching its progress since you first posted about it. Hmmm, I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow... it could be a great project to take with me... must go stash diving!

Simply beautiful. I hope it gets a lot of use.

Jane said...

Wowwee! That is gawgeous!

Madge said...

You look fantabulous in your new cami! Great job with the subs, as they compliment each other - and the pattern - perfectly.

Way to go on MS3, too!

Amy said...

Wow, the tank is perfect! I really enjoyed the book, too.

Can't wait to see more of the stole!

Amanda said...

Beautiful top!! I love how it fits you so perfectly. Great color choice on the top and your Mystery Stole.

rachel iufer said...

that top is perfect! i love greeeeeeeen soooo much. the fit is tailored well, and i think you've done a splendiferous job :)

Risa said...

Your top looks great!
And MS3 too :) I'm having lots of fun with it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Gorgeous. I LOVE the neckline. The colors are great too--fab top.

Leslie said...

What a wonderful job you did on that - it fits perfectly and is VERY couture.

Perhaps Moana would like it better in a different color?? or with catnip beads?

Anonymous said...

The top is gorgeous. It fits you like a glove. I am downloading the pattern right now. Thank you for drawing my attention to this cute cami.

Peacock Chic said...

love the shell, very nice! I really like the lighter color edging accent

Anonymous said...

Love the camisole, especially the three different colors of green!

rockbridge said...

wow - great job on the camisole - it is really beautiful!! i can't believe you've only been knitting since '06!

Pax *knits said...

The top is very beautiful.It fits on you.You are very thinny.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I didn't realize I could leave comments! Hi!!! Your work is fantastic! I love the babushka! And there were other things that I was going to say but since Im not looking at your page and just the page where I type in my comments, I have forgotten them. Oh well!!! :) Your knitting makes me all excited! Hugs!

Hege said...

Wow! That's fabulous! And it looks lovely on you. I love how the neckline crosses over.
Cat models are not as easy to manipulate as dog models, are they :)

Unknown said...

Oooh La La! Another stunner!I told you that sweater was going to look excellent on your waspy waist. I love the stripe - it's an unexpected little splash.

I can't wait to see what you whip up next....

Siow Chin said...

Nice top! Now I might have to knit one for myself :) Thanks for the link to the pattern.

Lucy said...

Hi - thanks for visiting my blog so many times!! I haven't completed too many toys in the last week or so but have got to get a move on now before Cressida arrives !! You look fantastic in your lovely top - and Moana is just exquisite!! Love the look on her face - your lace knitting is beautiful - I have yet to knit anything large in lace but it WILL happen(along with socks )(hopefully)

Anonymous said...

The sweater turned out lovely! It's definitely something to keep in mind when you don't have enough of one color yarn to complete a sweater... And, of course, I support cats-in-babushkas!

jennsquared said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love the cami! It is now on my to be knit list!

I am way behind on my MS3! I JUST finished Clue 2...

Anonymous said...

What a lovely cami! It fits perfectly.

LisaB said...

Wow that is beautiful and looks so great on you!