Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Something wicked this way comes...

I'm guessing this title has been somewhat overused on knitting blogs recently, but I couldn't resist! In addition to continuing work on my clapotis (see below), I started wicked from Zephyrstyle.

wicked1

wicked2

Wicked is knit in the round from the top down. As you can see, I have not yet divided for the sleeves. I'll be making the short sleeved version. I'm really enjoying the yarn -- Artyarns Supermerino (which I got at a discount before Sarah's Yarns stopped carrying it). It's very soft and has a gentle sheen to it that is really lovely.

supermerino3

This is actually the suggested yarn in the colorway (234/132) they show in the pattern. For some reason I'm usually loathe to use the original pattern color (maybe I feel too much like I'm copying??), but I thought this colorway was just gorgeous, and when I saw sknitty's version, I was hooked. Hopefully I'll be able to knit this up pretty quickly and get some use out of it before it becomes too warm for a short sleeved wool sweater.

Clapotis is still coming along. Since I'm using finer yarn than is called for in the pattern, I've knit more straight rows than the pattern suggests, but I still need more to make it a reasonable length. Luckily my yarn is holding out well -- I don't expect to need to use it all (I could have made my clapotis wider, but, alas, I didn't realize that while it still would have been possible).

For fun, I scanned my clapotis. Here is the official "front" side (it looks a little squished as you might expect from being pinched beneath a scanner lid):
clapotis-scan1

...and here is the back:
clapotis-scan2

(If you want to see larger versions of the pictures, feel free to click on them -- just don't complain if you suddenly notice a lot of cat hairs!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Wicked is going to be so cute- I loved Jillian's in that same yarn. Great Central Park Hoodie, too, BTW. The more I see those, the more I think I need one for myself. PS: Thanks for the compliments on my Josephine! :)

Octopus Knits said...

Thanks Nonnahs!

Iris G said...

What a serene color--reminds me of a lake surrounded by trees. And you are so fast!

Stephanie said...

you make a lot of excellent color choices, it seems. scanning clapotis is a cute idea, too :P

Octopus Knits said...

Thanks, guys!

Sarah said...

I LOVE that color you're using for Wicked! I agree with you about purposefully not using the same color as the sample, but I can see how you couldn't resist this shade.

Thanks for your compliments on my Forecast! I really should have knitted it several months earlier so that I could have worn it once or twice. Guess I'll just have to wait.

Unknown said...

Your knits are lookin' good! I think that color is beautiful...so rich! Thanks for the info o the button bands. A couple of other people have given me tips too. I'm always confused about patterns that only give gauge for one stitch when others are called for...how ARE you supposed to figure that out?

Anyway, you have totally inspired me to consider using some grey, silky tweed I have for a Zephyr sweater. I like Green Gable too.

Alison said...

Pretty colors for the clapotis. I did one in laceweight.

Beautiful color for wicked, too!