Thursday, February 12, 2009

In which Bug catches a swallow by the tail

or something like that...

IMG_9727
IMG_9739
IMG_9743

  • Swallowtail Shawl by Evelyn A. Clark (Interweave Knits, Fall 2006)
  • My handspun yarn (made from AllSpunUp Bluefaced Leicester Roving), 100% Bluefaced Leicester Wool, (442 yards / 115 g per skein), ~0.87 skeins, colorway "Shallow Water"
  • US 5 (3.75 mm) Knitpicks Options Circular Needles

I must confess that I've been pretty busy lately with a new job that requires a long, multi-part public transportation commute, so this post is a little late (as I finished the shawl about a month ago).

I followed the pattern pretty closely and didn't do anything differently (that I know of). The nupps gave me some trouble, but I got better at them with time, and I think they add a little somethin' - somethin' to the overall look, so I'm glad I did them :)

I used my handspun yarn, and the color transitions worked out nicely. Here's a refresher of what it looked like in roving form and all spun up(!), in a lovely little skein. I must compliment Kristen (of All Spun Up) on her color sense - her rovings are always gorgeous.

IMG_5573
IMG_8540

The leftovers:

IMG_9836

Here the shawl is blocking...

IMG_9701

I have been admiring Swallowtails online for quite a while, so I'm very happy to finally have my own :)

IMG_9759
IMG_9752

Here are some close-ups of the three main patterns, from the center outward:

IMG_9767
IMG_9757
IMG_9758

I do love these colors!

IMG_9772

Here you can see the "wrong side":

IMG_9729
IMG_9730

... and with light shining through:

IMG_9706
IMG_9770
IMG_9703

I had to persuade Bug to model the shawl. At first he was more than a little annoyed (hello - I'm trying to nap here):

IMG_9738

...but he warmed up to it:

IMG_9726
IMG_9718
IMG_9716

In fact, he kind of lost himself for a bit:

IMG_9731

He appreciated the lovely colors and pleasing pattern, but what really won Bug over was his discovery that Swallowtail makes an excellent curtain in a sunny window - letting through just the right amount of skin-warming light.

IMG_9803
IMG_9809

Happy Lincoln's Birthday (and Charles Darwin's, too)... and Happy almost Valentine's Day :)

23 comments:

Emily said...

Your Swallowtail is gorgeous! Beautiful color, and I agree that despite the hassle the nupps are totally worthwhile in the end...

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous shawl. I love your handspun knits the best (and I think Bug does too!). Just lovely with the subtle color shifts.

Unknown said...

Oh, absolutely stunning! I love the shades of your yarn!

Laural said...

It's VERY beautiful! Congratulations on your finish

Anonymous said...

Nupps! It's lovely, particularly since it's made from handspun!

Lara said...

The shawl is absolutely beautiful! I love the colors. Fabulous job!

Oiyi said...

Oh, absolutely gorgeous!!! Such a great color.

www.oiyi.blogspot.com

Rima said...

Wow! Your shawl is one stunner. I cant knit lace to save my life. I am very envious right now.

Rima

LizKnits said...

Just beautiful!

jen said...

Wow! It's so pretty looking! I'm looking forward to making this one myself... hopefully this year.

Your spinning is beautiful as always!

Sarah said...

That is really gorgeous! I think you've really improved the pattern by doing it in your own handspun, and I completely agree with you about Kristin's fiber. I can't stop buying it, because it always spins up so beautifully!

Baby Beth said...

My birthday is in August, I have no color preference....get knitting. haha

Absolutely beautiful. I too love the colors. You spun the yarn so wonderfuly.

Hope you're well.

missalicefaye said...

Pretty pretty Swallowtail! :)

Anonymous said...

Your colors really look beautiful in the Swallowtail!

Tho not as beautiful as Bug...really. LOL!

Plum Texan said...

I almost fell off the chair at the blocking shot. Just beautiful! You should be very, very proud. :)

Anonymous said...

Just lovely!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Great photos as usual.

Beth said...

As always, amazing beautiful project and incredible photos to sum it all up with. Your blocking technique is amazing. I hope someday you do a post just on blocking because your pieces always come out perfectly blocked. I'm dying to know what kind of set-up you have for blocking. I saw the pic of it, but have no clue what the black pieces are and was quite spellbound.

alligator said...

Oooh, that is lovely! The colors are so beautiful! The nupps definitely add something, I'm going to have to remember that when I (finally) get to try this pattern!

Anonymous said...

It is a stunning shawl but the fact that it is handspun!? Amazing!

Anonymous said...

I too have been admiring everyone else's shawl and decided it was time to make my own.

Yours is stunning and what makes it even better is your handspun yarn!

Now I am off to "nupp" land.... groan.....

beth (big geek)

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! And I agree- the nupps were a little fiddly to knit at first, but they definitely add to shawl- I love them!

Lisa Stepi said...

So pretty - love that color.