Friday, November 28, 2008
Lace Ribbon Scarf by Veronik Avery
My handspun yarn (made from Foxhill Farm fiber), 100% Cormo Wool (413 yards / 104 g per skein), 1 skein
US 3 (3.25 mm) Knitpicks circular needles
Happy day after Thanksgiving :)
I pretty much followed the pattern for this scarf with a minor exception. I cast on and worked 19 repeats of the 24 row chart, but only had yarn enough to knit a single final row (the pattern specifies two) before binding off. These knit rows serve to stabilize the edge a bit, and it seems that the pattern should have called for two knit rows after the initial cast on as well (both for parallelism and added stability). I'm not sure why they're only called for at the end.
Other than this, I thought the pattern was lovely and worked fairly well with my handspun yarn, which had a tendency to stripe-up rather randomly. I think the pattern is simple enough that it doesn't get terribly lost in the busy-ness of the yarn, although it would also be gorgeous in a more subtly varying color palette.
I used this yarn that I spun back in April:
...from this fiber:
The Cormo produced a super squishy yarn, so the scarf (as you might imagine) feels wonderfully soft!
Here it is blocking, so you can see the whole thing at once - it's about 10 inches wide and 63 inches long:
Even though I stuck pins all over my blocking scarf, Moana still managed to traipse all over it :)
Here are some close-ups:
...and now for some cat modeling:
Have a great weekend!
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
...green yarn becomes...
ProtoPretty DNA sweater shell or tank by Chris O'Brien
Jo Sharp Soho Summer DK Cotton 100% Cotton (109 yards / 50 g per ball), ~5 balls of the color "Rockpool"
US 4 (3.5 mm) 16" and 24" bamboo circular needles
Yes, it's true - my ProtoPretty DNA tank has magically appeared. It only took me 3 months :)*
*Please note that it shouldn't have. I just had too many things on my plate.
This is a great design that combines three beautiful patterns: diamond background lace (1), modified torchon insertion (2), and DNA cable (3). I pretty much followed the instructions for the smallest size, and it worked out well.
I enjoyed the Jo Sharp Soho Summer DK yarn, but I had to be a little careful to keep from splitting the myriads of thread-like plys.
The only problem I had (or thought I had) - aside from occasionally messing up the lace patterns - was that my stitch count didn't always match the pattern when I got to certain landmarks (e.g. after binding off for the armholes). I was 4 stitches off. Luckily I realized why pretty quickly: the width of the modified torchon insertion chart is 19 stitches for the first three rows and 17 stitches for the final three rows. Due to gauge differences, etc., I was simply ending up in a different part of the chart than the designer did, and since the modified torchon insertion chart is worked twice for each row of the pattern, this put my stitch count off by 4 stitches. Mystery solved.
The pattern doesn't specify how many stitches to pick up for the armholes or neck, which is fine by me. Sometimes it can be nerve wracking trying to match the # of stitches suggested in a pattern. I tried to pick up stitches in ratios that made sense with the composition of the corresponding edge. Also, I made sure the number of stitches I picked up in each armhole was the same.
I think it worked out nicely :)
The DNA cable also looks quite interesting on the "wrong" side (click for closer view):
I should also mention that I finished the Malabrigo Scarf I started in late August (don't worry, this one only took me a month!).
Malabrigo Scarf by me
Malabrigo Merino Worsted 100% Merino Wool (216 yards / 100 g per skein), 1 skein (exactly) of the color "Charrua"
US 5 (3.75 mm) bamboo circular needles
S = stockinette (knit on right side, purl on wrong side)
R = reverse stockinette (purl on right side, knit on wrong side)
CO 26 sts.
Work in garter stitch for about 3/4 of an inch, then work
bands of stockinette and reverse stockinette stitch as follows:
8 rows each of S,R,S,R,S,R,S,R,S (= 9 bands)
10 rows each of R,S,R,S,R,S,R,S (= 8 bands)
12 rows each of R,S,R,S (= 4 bands)
12 rows of R (= 1 band - this forms the center of the scarf)
12 rows each of S,R,S,R (= 4 bands)
10 rows each of S,R,S,R,S,R,S,R (= 8 bands)
8 rows each of S,R,S,R,S,R,S,R,S (= 9 bands)
Work in garter stitch for about 3/4 of an inch, then bind off.
Of course, I love the yarn (so soft, and such lovely colors):
Moana agrees :)